Well, seeing as though it's that time of year, here's a few pointers on how to discover a couple of those so-called hidden features or 'Easter Eggs' within the DONKEY KONG game, guys, plus a few glitches identified in the coding:
• EASTER EGG: The programmer initials "LMD" (for programmer Landon M. Dyer) will appear on the title screen if you do the following:
1. Play a game (any difficulty level) and get a score of 33,000 through to 33,900. This score must become the new high score. Other base scores that will work are 37,000 ; 73,000 ; and 77,000. The hundreds digit can be anything, as can the hundred thousands digit.
2. Kill off all of your remaining lives. However, your last life must be killed off by falling too far - by walking or jumping off a girder that is too high to land safely. If the last life is killed any other way, the egg will not appear.
3. Set the game difficulty to 4 (the icon for this difficulty is a firefox).
4. Wait a few minutes, and the demo screen where Kong jumps across the screen will appear, after which the title screen will appear with the initials at the bottom of the screen.
Don Hodges discovered this Easter egg, as part of an Easter egg contest run by Scott Stilphen: